Saturday, July 9, 2011

Little Miss Sunshine

I've come to realize lately that I tend towards the negative at first thought. The moment someone mentions something new to try or go, my first thought is "hmm, that might be hard/boring/take too long instead of thinking of the positive part. So I am trying to think positively and you know what, it is HARD for me!! I never realized what a negative person I was. I don't know that is negative so much as lack of confidence sometimes.

Anyway. Today I am trying. I was driving home and this teen swerves his skateboard into the middle of the road a few feet ahead of me. Immediately I think "Dumb Kid!! Trying to get me to kill him or what, stay on the side of the road!" I caught myself and decided, well at least he swerved onto the side of the road I wasn't on in the end so I could drive past him and at least I didn't swear out loud with my kids in teh car. See? I CAN do it! So I am going to try this, and Maybe I'll get one of those bracelets to switch from one arm to the other every time you are negative and see just how good or bad I am at this. Just call me Pollyanna (well, one in the works at least, right?)

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Good for you! It's hard to change attitudes.

Alice said...

It is hard. I find myself saying "no" automatically whenever the kids ask for anything. It takes a lot of conscious thought for me to ask myself if what they want is really that big of a deal. I'm trying to make my default answer yes, and limit the no's to things that really matter.

Hope it's going well for you!