Saturday, August 13, 2011

Good boy!

Thanks for all the advice about the temper tantrums. I have tried using the 123 method (Thanks for the idea, Allie!) and it with some tweaking for our situation and personality it is working great. I stop, look him in the eye on his level and offer him three choices. The first is the one I want him to take, "You can stop screaming, go potty like I asked and then go back to playing" The second is the one he should want to avoid "You can keep screaming, go to your room and be bored" and the third is usually something I come up with on the fly and often makes no sense but he doesn't really listen by then so it is okay. This stops his tantrum and he usually ends up smiling and excitedly choosing #1 and doing whatever I wanted him to do. Hooray! The other great advice from Allie helps us parents the most. When we put him in time out those times he won't/can't calm down we leave him there until he stops screaming. We used to go in there a few times to try to calm him down/tell him to stop screaming, etc. Now he just has to do it on his own.

I still have to bend Ethan into his carseat sometimes but he is not doing it as much so that is also better.

The really are good boys in general, it's just hard when they both hit difficult stages at the same time. Too bad you can't freeze time for one kid while you take care of the other....

1 comment:

Alice said...

I'm glad things are getting better.

Just when you get the hang of parenting one age, your kids get older and you have to start all over again.

:)